MDD Hosting is a company created in 2007, specifically aiming to provide small and medium businesses and blogs a reliable hosting solution specially tailored around their needs for a fraction of the usual market price.
MDD take a lot of pride in being one of the most reputed low-cost companies in the world. As such, they claim to own a datacenter facility in Denver which receives power feeds from a number of substations, in which humidity and cooling are controlled by 7 air-handling units. They also have a pretty fancy fire detection system going on there. When it comes to connectivity within the center, they have Level3, tw telecom, Comcast, Internap, XO, Hurricane Electric, Savvis, Global Crossing, RMIX and UUNET. In this MDDHosting.com Review article, you’ll learn the following:
1. MDD Hosting Plans and Features 2. My personal experience with MDD 3. Should you host with MDD? Is it worth it?
In spite of them being relatively low-cost as you’ll see onwards, they have a very comprehensive 24/7 customer support which works in a different way from your traditional ticket system. This system is designed to independently collect error messages which would otherwise be lost during a phone call, which helps both customers and staff alike to fix your problem in a timely manner and hassle-free. Aside from phone calling, you can also get in touch with them via e-mail and live chat. You are always encouraged to screenshot your problem rather than try explaining it if you’re not very knowledgeable.
As with many other hosting companies, MDD offer a wide variety of hosting plans for you to choose from. Let’s delve in their offer and see what they have in the box for you:
Shared Hosting Plans
Shared Hosting plans are ideal for small blogs and business on the lookout for a reliable hosting solution without unnecessarily splurging for features they don’t need. MDD have a very interesting offer for a relatively cheap price, the servers being designed to reach maximum uptime and including SSD Accelerated storage for enhanced speed and reliability.
Premium Hosting Plans
The premium hosting plans featured on their website include slightly better options. On top of the standard options offered by the aforementioned shared hosting plans, you are given Pure SSD storage for maximum speed potential and dual CPU cores, as opposed to the single core offered by the shared hosting accounts.
Reseller Hosting Plans
Reseller plans make for an ideal solution for businesses looking to start their own hosting companies without possessing too much capital. MDD offer every necessary tool to get up and running in no time, all the while giving you absolute freedom with regard to plan, pricing and branding structure.
VPS Hosting Plans
MDD’s VPS Hosting Plans are the ideal choice for those in need for an enhanced Shared Hosting experience without paying the high inherent costs of dedicated plans. VPS plans offer high levels of security and reliability for a fraction of dedicated plans’ prices.
Dedicated Hosting Plans
And now the pinnacle of MDD’s offering: Dedicated Hosting Plans. If you don’t want to have to deal with cheap plans and your budget allows it, you can always opt for these plans. How Dedicated Hosting works, is that you basically rent a server for yourself, which can be tailored around your specific needs and expectations. As such, their servers use single Quad-Core processors clocked at 3220 or 5430 or dual Quad-Core processors clocked at 5430 or 5520 – rates available upon request:
- Xeon 3220 CPU
- 2 GB Total RAM
- 250 GB Sata HD
- 2000 GB Per Month Bandwidth
- 5 IP Addresses
- 100 Megabit Port
Prior to writing this review, I purchased a quick shared hosting plan with them so as to base this review on factuality rather than speculation. I was highly surprised to see their service is as good as it gets, at all points.
First of all, bear in mind that Shared Hosting is usually not that satisfactory, especially if you have very high and unrealistic expectations. A lot of people with whom I have spoken before have come to me complaining that they are paying around $5 per month, which is not much at all, and are not receiving great services whatsoever. So here’s my advice for anyone reading this: if you pay $5, you get $5 worth of service back. There’s no workaround.
Secondly, having seen that MDD offer Shared Hosting services for around $7 per month, I did not raise my expectation bar too much. I was however very surprised that the advantages significantly outweighed the disadvantages given the price, and let’s see what these are:
- Reliability: In spite of having chosen the lowest shared hosting plan on their website, I received excellent hosting service in return. I only hosted the trial website with them for around 1 month, and it scored a 99.99% uptime score. Impressive!
- Swiftness: There’s no denying in the fact that my trial site acted and responded very well to my commands. In order to keep number tabs on the performance rather than mere “eye analysis”, I decided to run various benchmarks to test the said performance, and was not deceived whatsoever.
- Customer Support: For $7 per month, the customer support was very professional and ingenious at the same time. They were very eager to fix my issues, offered insightful advice and were polite all the way through, which is a huge plus in this seemingly superficial industry.
- Full Dedication: Let’s face it: this industry is filled with jack-of-all-trades companies, especially the most versed ones around. On the other hand, MDD are striving to focus their powers on only offering hosting and not anything else, which is, again, a huge plus that I personally endorse.
- Costs: Don’t get me wrong, they are cheap, very cheap actually, but definitely not the cheapest around. There are hosts that offer the same services for half the price, but they are usually part of a bigger corporation and can afford that. I would honestly choose an independent company over a brand anytime, so it’s all heavily reliant on your expectations and preferences. MDD offer 5GB worth of storage and 250GB worth of data transfer, which are actually pretty low drawbacking benefits. They do not hold promotions on a constant basis, but when they do come, they offer 50% discounts on shared and VPS plans sometimes, so keep an eye out for those!
Yes and yes, if and only if you’re a small business or blog. I cannot really speak for their VPS and Dedicated Hosting performances since I have not really tested them out, but rumors have it that they are actually quite great. Do your own due diligence prior to buying any plan, read online reviews and stay safe! My opinion is that you should go for them. Their shared servers “behave”, so I wholeheartedly recommend them to you.
If you are currently hosted at MDD, please leave your experience with MDD Hosting on the comment session below!