As an internet marketer, one of the biggest challenges you face, whether you are promoting a website, blog, article, service or product is that of obtaining traffic, and if you want to be a successful online entrepreneur, you need not only traffic but high-quality, sustainable traffic to make a successful go of it in the world of internet marketing. In order to obtain a consistent high level of traffic, you need to do research. Research is important because when done correctly and put to proper use, you are able to bring products and services to already existing traffic and people that want what it is your are selling, so there in essence is no such as thing as a “hard sell.” Doing research allows you to learn how your customers think, what they what, and why they buy the things they want. Listed below are some tips and tricks that I use to make the most of already existing traffic for whatever I am selling.
1) Submitting website blog or article URL to search engines: This is one of the first things you should do. When you combined it with other techniques usually allows you to get listed faster. You can submit your url to Google by visiting: http://www.google.com/addurl/ You can submit your url to yahoo by visiting: http://search.yahoo.com/info/submit.html You can submit to MSN by visiting: http://www.webseo.com.au/msn.html
2) Create a blog. Blogs are really hot right now. They are simple to create, and you do not need a lot of website development skills are anything like that. In addition, they help you get ranked faster than a regular website. Also, if you use certain blog services such as blogger.com, you start receiving traffic effortlessly because of the mere fact Google.com powers it. It has built-in traffic. Also, if you have an already existing website, blogs are a good way to get exposure and give people a reason for people to visit your actual website. One of the best part about blogging is that whenever you update your blog, you can use a ping service such as ping-o-matic.com to let the search engines, blog directories and such that you have updated your blog.
3) Forums: For online entrepreneurs, forums serve several purposes, but the key to getting traffic through the use of forums is to advertise you url in your forum signature. As long as you add valuable content to the forum and do not spam, other forum members are going to check out whatever you have to sell just because they like what you have to say. I am totally aware of this fact, and yet I fall for it again and again.
4) Social Networking Sites: Social networking sites such as Myspace and facebook.com are a good way to make use of targeted traffic because many of the people using social networking sites segregate themselves by joining groups that interest them. Many social networking sites also make use of functions such as commenting, sending out bulletins, and blogs. The cool thing about social networking sites is that generally, when you send out comments and bulletins, not only do your friends see them but their friends as well.
5) Social Book marking Sites: Social book marking sites such as stumbleupon.com and digg.com are becoming more and more popular. Basically, you add your url to these social book marking sites, and other members vote for them by “digging” or “liking them.” The more positive votes you get, the more your url is shown on the network.
6) Linkreferral.com: linkreferral.com acts as something of a traffic exchange. However, what makes Link Referral different is the fact that you are limited in terms of the amount of other member’s sites you can view to get credit. You can only view up to 30 sites within a 24-hour period. You can also review up to 5 members’ sites in a 24-hour period as well as leave two forum posts per day. With Link Referral, you are sent anywhere between 20 and 60 hits per day. I also like the fact that when people review your site, they really do leave you valuable feedback since you can only review 5 sites per day. You can add a blog, website, article, or affiliate link to Link Referral. The only downside is that for every url you want to add to the network, you have to create an email account and password. Also, once I URL has been added, you cannot create a new email account and try to submit the same URL over again.
7) Back Links: In reference to Google.com, back linking is a rather important concept. The concept of back linking is basically how many other relevant, high-quality sites point back to your on the Internet. Back links are one of the critera created by Google in order to determine a blog’s or website’s Google Page Rank. The Google Page Rank uses a scale from 1 – 10 to help determine where a blog, website, or article should appear in its natural listing for particular keyword phrases. Although the scale goes from 1 – 10, 7 is considered to be really good. I personally have not seen a site that had a ranking of 10 except for Google.com itself.
8) Analyzing Traffic and Competition: I touched on the importance of this in the beginning of this article. However, there are several other important facts to note. It is important to know how much traffic and competition there is out there for a keyword phrase. The goal of an Internet marketer is to bring products and services to people already looking for them. By analyzing traffic and doing some research, you can predetermine how much traffic a keyword phrase is going to get based on statistical data. This is why I mentioned before that there should be no such thing as a “hard sell.” The tools you use to figure this out are called keyword research tools and are free. Some of the more popular ones include the Google Adwords tools, nichebotclassic.com, mooter, good keywords and others. Most of these tools analysis not only traffic for a keyword phrase but competition as well. Knowing your competition is important because it is an indicator to that lets you know if a keyword phrase is worth it. If there is too much competition, you listing is not as likely to show up on the first page of a search engine such as Google.
For those of you who are having trouble getting traffic, I hope you find this article to be of some use. Also, remember that making money online and associated skills are things that can be learned and mastered with practice, but becoming an online entrepreneur or Internet marketer requires hard work and dedication.